Why so many servers?

Robbie D hello at robertdherb.com
Thu May 7 14:05:53 UTC 2020

On 5/7/2020 12:44 AM, Daniel Feldman wrote:
> Way back in the mid-2000s, there was this idea that applications on
> the network could request holes in the firewall programmatically so
> they could do peer-to-peer connections through a protocol called UPnP.
> It never really took off
To be honest, I'm kind of glad it didn't. I've never seen an
implementation that lets you do UPnP on a per-device basis, so you'd
either let nothing through, or potentially let everything through. At
that point, you have to REALLY trust that no device on your network is
unsecure, and as we've seen from IoT devices, that's too much to ask of
consumer devices.

And even if there were per-device rules on UPnP... Well, then you're
right back where you started, having to configure your router for each
device you want to allow through. It's a tough problem to solve, and I
think STUN took off because it's as easy (For the user) as UPnP, but
doesn't punch holes in your PC. Of course, there is still a level of
trust needed, but at least getting into your network has the extra
required step of compromising the server.