Why so many servers?

Joe Nelson joe at begriffs.com
Sun May 3 05:38:13 UTC 2020

Ian Bicking wrote:
> I've done a fair amount with WebRTC. It's not a great experience.
> [...] It feels like what you want is the p2p sort of stuff, but most
> of it is not realtime, it's more storage-oriented.

Which chat program performs best in your experience?

> You might also find IndieWeb interesting: https://indieweb.org/ – not
> exactly about this topic, but people that share some similar interest
> in DIY tech.

I like their message that people should self-host rather than getting
put into a "silo." That said, I've also wasted time complying with some
of their proposals like IndieAuth [0] or Microformats [1]. Nothing
really came out of that work for me personally at least.

0: https://indieauth.com/auth?me=begriffs.com&client_id=https%3A%2F%2Findieauth.com&redirect_uri=https%3A%2F%2Findieauth.com%2Fsuccess
1: http://pin13.net/mf2/?url=begriffs.com

> Technically Urbit tries to create a p2p networking system based on
> stable but portable identities. The implementation is absurd,

Urbit is totally weird. I visited their office a few times, and got a
planet or whatever they call it (~fallyr-mogseb). A large part of the
office is filled with a library of books in praise of monarchy, and the
philosophical drive behind their technology is establishing some kind of
digital feudalism. The address space is an intentionally limited
resource, and the pitch to investors is that they can make an initial
land grab. Not sure how the lords of address space control their serfs
or whatever, but that's the draw.