Reading Group?

Nicholas Drozd nicholasdrozd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 22:22:56 UTC 2020

TAOCP has some great beginner-friendly material, but it also has tons
of difficult math and machine-level programming. It would be nice if
there were a digest version (supposedly that is in the works, but who
knows if it will ever get written), but until then I don't know if it
would be suitable for a group like ours. That is not to say that you
shouldn't read it, because we should all at least take a look, but for
a reading group I think something smaller and easier would be more
appropriate. That's just my feeling, of course.

A smaller and easier but still difficult and comprehensive book is
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (SICP). It covers a
lot of theory, but remains programming-focused. Unlike TAOCP, the full
text is available online:
https://mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/sicp/full-text/book/book.html