Let's hack Minnebar! [and lightning talks in general]

Joe Nelson joe at begriffs.com
Wed Jan 29 00:40:33 UTC 2020

Nicholas Drozd wrote:
> Do you know for sure that that's what the `s` is?

In general those are called integer suffixes. The ANSI C89 spec section
6.1.3.2 (integer constants) mentions "u" or "U" to make a constant
unsigned, and "l" or "L" to make it long.

> The IOCCC rules from that era stipulate that entries be written in
> "common C (K&R + common extensions)". What are the "common
> extensions"?

"K&R C," the standard before ANSI, means the language defined in
Appendix A of K&R 1st edition. All I can see in there is the L suffix:

	2.4.2 (Explicit long constants) A decimal, octal, or hexadecimal
	integer constant immediately followed by l (letter ell) or L is a
	long constant. As discussed below, on some machines integer and long
	values may be considered identical.

The 's' suffix must be from a "common extension." I'm curious if anyone
else knows more about those.