What are the "serious" libraries?

June Bug june at causal.agency
Mon Apr 6 13:37:00 UTC 2020

> On Apr 5, 2020, at 23:52, Joe Nelson <joe at begriffs.com> wrote:
>
>>> I'm looking for a good cross platform GUI library.
>
> June Bug wrote:
>> Off the top of my head I’d say SDL2 <https://www.libsdl.org> belongs
>> on this list.  Really good cross-platform way to get a window open
>> and put some graphics up, used in loads of games.
>
> Sounds great for raw graphical access.
>
> Can you also recommend a GUI library that has widgets like buttons and
> text fields for more desktop-y apps?

I haven’t had a chance to use any yet, but I’m very interested in
“immediate mode GUI” libraries:

 - <https://github.com/ocornut/imgui> seems to be the big one;
 - <https://github.com/rxi/microui> is a much smaller one I recently
   found.

The gist of these as I understand them is that unlike “retained
mode GUI” APIs, rather than creating and storing a widget hierarchy,
you just call functions inline with the rest of your code (which
is what makes it appealing for game debugging UI), and then when
you go to render your frame you ask the library what to draw based
on the calls you made.