What are the "serious" libraries?

Joe Nelson joe at begriffs.com
Sun Apr 5 17:33:41 UTC 2020

Martin VanWinkle wrote:
> * https://www.boost.org

Boost is C++ only, correct? I don't know this for a fact, but I'm
assuming that it's harder for other languages to call C++ libraries than
to call C libraries because of complexities in the object files. Maybe
someone who knows about that can chime in.

> * Readline

Oh for sure, it's used by many programs. Looks like it handles these
tasks:

* move the text cursor (vi and emacs modes)
* search the command history
* control a kill ring
* and use tab completion

It's straight up GPL though, not LGPL. There are more permissive
knockoffs like:

* libedit http://thrysoee.dk/editline/
	requires ncurses
* linenoise https://github.com/antirez/linenoise