What are the "serious" libraries?

Joe Nelson joe at begriffs.com
Sun Apr 5 17:19:54 UTC 2020

David Klann wrote:
> There's also the new-ish NotCurses:
> https://github.com/dankamongmen/notcurses I haven't yet used it, but it
> looks to be a modern interpretation of the long-time standard.

While, according to their readme, "notcurses is not an implementation of
X/Open (aka XSI) Curses, nor part of SUS4-2018," it still looks
interesting. I like that notcurses is

* thread-safe
	The curses standard says that implementations don't have to be
	thread-safe, and in fact ncurses is not. I'd have to put locks
	around ncurses calls, or nominate a certain thread to do UI and
	take requests from the others.

* supports Unicode
	ncurses supports wide characters (wchar_t), which can't *portably*
	handle Unicode.
	https://begriffs.com/posts/2019-01-19-inside-c-standard-lib.html#stdlib.h-wchar_t

Thanks for sharing the library.

> There's also the Linux (and *BSD) kernel(s): for uni-kernel embedded
> applications, the kernel is a must-use "library" of functionality.
> Warning: I'm not a *BSD user, so the BSD links may not be of much use...

Can you tell me more about uni-kernel embedded applications? I don't
know anything about that. Perhaps some examples?