What are the "serious" libraries?

Timothy J. Salo salo at saloits.com
Sun Apr 5 05:42:46 UTC 2020

On 4/4/2020 1:01 PM, Joe Nelson wrote:
> I've been looking for major libraries that do the heavy lifting behind
> the scenes for most software, and that power features in other languages
> (like how Haskell relies on libgmp to do the actual numerical work).

I'm not sure what a "serious" library is, but it seems to me that
pretty much any such list ought to include glibc.  From the GNU
C Library pages:

   The GNU C Library provides many of the low-level components used
    directly by programs written in the C or C++ languages. Many
    programming languages use the GNU C Library indirectly including C#,
    Java, Perl, Python, and Ruby (interpreters, VMs, or compiled code for
    these langauges use glibc directly).

-tjs