What are the "serious" libraries?

David Klann dklann at grunch.org
Sun Apr 5 00:32:55 UTC 2020

All good suggestions Joe!

On 4/4/20 1:01 PM, Joe Nelson wrote:
> I've been looking for major libraries that do the heavy lifting behind
> the scenes for most software, and that power features in other languages
> (like how Haskell relies on libgmp to do the actual numerical work).
>
> I came up with the list below. Anybody have more suggestions for serious
> and portable libraries? For instance, I'm looking for a good cross
> platform GUI library. Also is there a good container library for C that
> provides generic data structures?
>
> LibreSSL https://www.libressl.org/
> ICU http://site.icu-project.org/home
> SQLite https://sqlite.org/index.html
> GMP https://gmplib.org/
> X/Open Curses https://publications.opengroup.org/c094

There's also the new-ish NotCurses:
https://github.com/dankamongmen/notcurses I haven't yet used it, but it
looks to be a modern interpretation of the long-time standard.

> libcurl https://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/
> lex / yacc   (flex and bison are widely available implementations)
> libarchive https://www.libarchive.org/

There's also the Linux (and *BSD) kernel(s): for uni-kernel embedded
applications, the kernel is a must-use "library" of functionality.
Warning: I'm not a *BSD user, so the BSD links may not be of much use...

Linux: https://kernel.org/
NetBSD: http://www.netbsd.org/docs/kernel/
OpenBSD: https://man.openbsd.org/release
FreeBSD: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html