Want to join the Dataforge UUCP network as a Tier 1 system?

Ioannis Nompelis nompelis at nobelware.com
Thu Mar 21 15:16:24 UTC 2019

Good to see everyone. It turned out to be a really good gathering! And it was
great to meet the new faces.

First things first, thanks to Joe for inviting everyone to the Hack Factory,
and for their hospitality. It is a great place, inspiring, welcoming, diverse,
and it was 10x cleaner this time for this open house.

I will try to provide a bullet-point recap of the event, and it will be short:

1. Louis' laptop did not work.
2. Dave, Joe and I proved, again, that we are not admins by profession.

That is basically it. It was more of a social event, but we had some good
discussions and I hear the Wok did its part for those who were hungry.

There are some things that were informative. Joe brought a hardcopy of the
C rationale and standard, which I glanced over. I looked at Joe's Unicode
transcription tools, which indicated to me that it is a fascinating rabbithole.
Also, Joe found a bug in the ICU library and filed a report, which was
acknowledged and will be fixed! (Yes! As a group we have offered something
to society already!) And we did work on the UUCP node, which was a focus item.

It turns out that the ad-hoc UUCP network we were trying to join has bootstrap
tools that are very intrusive, and we were careful not to pollute our VPS with
it. Not wanting to jail the daemon, I tried to spawn a VM on our VPS, but I
learned that the VPS's OpenBSD kernel did not allow it. Instead, Dave spawned
a new VM from our provider; this one's a Debian (Linux) and it is here:

hh:nompelis {104} ssh 104.207.140.6
Linux uucp.frostbyte.cc 4.9.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.110-3+deb9u6 (2018-10-08) x86_64

We will get the DNS entries in place. Joe has superuser privileges and can
create your accounts on that using your ~/.ssh/authorized_keys from our VPS.
Which reminds me, Nathan, Erik and Darren should be getting logins in the VPS.
So if you want those, please provide the ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub or ~/.ssh/id_dsa.pub
(public key) to Joe (you can concatanate all public keys you want).

That's what I have for now, and until next time, keep hacking!