What's everyone working on lately?

Sam Stuewe samuel.stuewe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 00:49:01 UTC 2019

On March 13, 2019 4:18:41 PM CDT, Joe Nelson <joe at begriffs.com> wrote:
>Hey it's been a bit quiet lately on the list, what has everyone been
>working on? Any fun side projects or experiments?
I have been working on a few things (though $DAYJOB continues to monopolize much of my motivation to complete projects).

The reference instance of pb (<https://ptpb.pw>) was taken down indefinitely due to abuse. I helped contribute to pb a while ago and since then have thought extensively about what I want in a pastebin. I am working on implementing those ideas now (I will let y'all know when the reference instance goes live in case you want to test) using a lot of what I learned from implementing my website.

I am also getting back in to a few other things I have not looked at in quite a while like lambda calculus. There is a lovely lambda calculus interpreter project on github (lci by chatziko, I believe) that I just opened a but of a spam of issues and PRs.

Speaking of, if we ever do want to have presentations, I would happily give a lecture/presentation on lambda calculus.

>I'm still building Unicode tools. Working on one now that is basically
>trust-on-first-use (TOFU) for strings. Kind of like how you accept an
>SSH fingerprint on the first connection and then it blows up if that
>fingerprint changes in a later connection. In this program you accept
>a string the first time it's used (email address, url etc) and then a
>similar but confusable one later will get flagged.
This sounds quite cool. Is the code going up anywhere?

>I'll be working on that tonight at the hack factory.
I am afraid I cannot attend this week (nor next week as I will be out-of-state). I hope to join the last week of March though!
All the best,

-Sam