Hardware and security/hacking

Sam Stuewe samuel.stuewe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 21:58:31 UTC 2019

Good find!

Unfortunately, the story for USB only gets worse the more you look
into it. There's a talk from a few years ago that still keeps me up at
night and makes me want to desolder every single USB port on my
computers:

https://youtu.be/nuruzFqMgIw

Fair note, this talk for me really led to a lot of security fatigue,
but it is important to keep the perspective of a thread-model in-mind;
first, you figure out against whom it makes most sense for you to try
to defend your systems, then you can figure out how to secure them.

On a related note, if you have not taken a look at lynis yet, it is a
tool that scans a linux machine (posix, perhaps? but I think it's
linux-focused), and makes recommendations for improving security:
https://cisofy.com/lynis/

It is available in many distributions' package repos already (for
example, it is in the Arch community repo). It will also make a ton of
security recommendations that won't necessarily make sense for you to
follow depending on your threat model, but knowing the state of your
system is the first place to start.

All the best,

-Sam