Unicode study

Ioannis Nompelis nompelis at nobelware.com
Sun Feb 3 16:05:48 UTC 2019

I was thinking glancing at the standard, or a book, decide what to
read first, and go from there. I have only studied the wikipedia
article. If I recall, Ken Thompson was one of the two creators, so
it was well though out at first. The character set extends the ASCII
seamlessly by detecting the first bit as an indication of non-printable
ASCII, which implies a second byte is needed. The process is repeated
for (I think) up to 4 bytes total. Great idea, but they go lucky, as
far as I can tell.

Joe, please point me to the document you printed. I will look at the
book you have ordered. I expect that anyone who is interested will just
glance at the same items and come back with a reply here.

Also, I will encourage the cluttering of your inbox with responses to
this thread. Simply put, whatever Joe and I (and whoever else) will be
discussing will be lost in the electron-passages, while it will remain
on our list archive otherwise. I welcome opinions on this.

And finally, I will set one more goal. Can we think about what utility
would make our life better from a shell-based unicode use perspective
and either write it or find one? (I am sure all useful things exist.)

As for the iphone and the link you sent, I noticed this discrepancy
very recently -- under a year ago -- and I was very surprised to see it.
Some things just aren't what they used to be, and I mean that companies
with a large market share are starting to influence the direction in
which things are going. It is sort of the equivalent of a market-based
political system as opposed to a political system with markets. (This is
a less philosophical discussion than it appears, related to the last
book I finished.)