Unicode study

Joe Nelson joe at begriffs.com
Sat Feb 2 20:20:26 UTC 2019

Hi Ioannis (& anyone interested on the list), when do you want to get
started with our Unicode study? I've ordered "Unicode Demystified" and
the printed Unicode Standard v5.0 and they are being shipped.

How do you want to tackle this? I was thinking we could individually
read the first three chapters to get some basic understanding, then
maybe pair program on using libicu to do some basic text manipulation.
Then we could proceed through later chapters and invent utility programs
to illustrate the concepts.

By the way, I just got an email from someone using the iPhone mail app,
and was interested to see it uses the U+2019 character for apostrophes
rather than the more traditional apostrophe character. Just another
example of Unicode at work.
https://tedclancy.wordpress.com/2015/06/03/which-unicode-character-should-represent-the-english-apostrophe-and-why-the-unicode-committee-is-very-wrong/