Progress migrating to list

Joe Nelson joe at begriffs.com
Sun Sep 30 18:07:44 UTC 2018

Ioannis Nompelis wrote:
> Dave has my postfix anti-spam configuration if you need it Joe, or I
> can send it to you.

Sure, send it over. I'm using https://www.opensmtpd.org/ but the
concepts are probably similar.

One thing that makes our job easier is that this list won't propagate
any messages unless the sender is subscribed. A spammer would have to
subscribe, or discover and spoof the identify of a member. Finally,
when a message does go through, the mailing list retains the original
headers and body, so subscribers' own clients can do their usual level
of filtering. If the spoofed member has a strong DMARC policy then that
will highlight the spam even more clearly.

Might actually be easier for a spammer to scrape email addresses from
the public list archives and email people directly than try to relay
through the list.