my first test

Dave Bucklin dave.bucklin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 22:01:11 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 04:39:35PM -0500, Joe Nelson wrote:
> > I found the historical method (recommended by Mailman) to be somewhat counter-intuitive, but I accept it as a hard-won best practice and an artifact of internet culture.
>
> What's a more intuitive method? Munging the From to appear to be from the list so that a plain reply would default to going to the list? I guess I can't argue someone into the belief that one method is intuitive or not, but there's something tidy about the idea that a Reply goes to the author and a Group Reply (aka Reply-All) goes to the group. If I were seeing an email client for the first time and investigating the buttons, I would assume that the Reply-All is the big scary one and Reply is more private.
>
> But more concretely, there are three advantages that I can see:
>
> 1. As you noted, it conforms with internet practice, most recently RFC5322.
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322
>
> > 3.6.2.  Originator Fields:
> >
> > The "From:" field specifies the author(s) of the message, that is, the mailbox(es) of the person(s) or system(s) responsible for the writing of the message.  The "Sender:" field specifies the mailbox of the agent responsible for the actual transmission of the message.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > In all cases, the "From:" field SHOULD NOT contain any mailbox that does not belong to the author(s) of the message.
>
> 2. It allows originating addresses to sign the message with DKIM, preventing impersonation. Although the From-munging alternative also works with DMARC, our chosen behavior of preserving the From, Subject, and Body allows the signatures to work. This helps prevent a list operator from spoofing member messages.
>
> 3. From-munging uses Reply-To, and email clients often have a degraded interface with respect to the Reply-To header. It’s usually not visible in the message list, not used for sorting, and not added to the address book

I'm not arguing against it. I think I'm just not used to seeing (or
thinking about) the Reply-To header. Gmail, for all the good it did to
improve webmail, has kind of trapped me. On that point, the list
rejected the reply I sent from my phone. I can't find a way to send a
plaintext email from the Gmail mobile client.